Worminghall is a village and civil Parish in the Aylesbury Vale district of Buckinghamshire, England.
The village is beside a brook that forms most of the eastern boundary of the Parish. The brook joins the River Thame, which forms the southernmost part of the eastern boundary.
The western boundary of the Parish also forms part of the county boundary with Oxfordshire. The village is about 4.5 miles (7 km) west of the Oxfordshire market town of Thame.
The village name is derived from Old English meaning “Wyrma’s nook of land”, The Doomsday Book of 1086 records it as Wermelle.
It evolved through Wormehale in the 12th and 13th centuries, Wrmehale in the 13th & 14th centuries, Worminghale in the 14th and 15th Centuries and Wornall is still its common local pronunciation although it is now spelt WORMINGHALL.
J.R.R.Tolkien, in his novel ‘Farmer Giles of Ham’, suggests that the ‘worm’ element in Worminghall is derived from the dragon in the story.
Our Medieval Pub
The Clifden Arms public house is a timber framed building with brick noggin and thatched roof. The older part is medieval and the newer wing was added in the 17th century .
The pub’s current name is more recent, being derived from an 18th or 19th century Viscount Clifden who was the heir to the advowson of the parish of Worminghall.
Until about 12 years ago the pub had always been a Free House priding itself on good beer and quality food. It is now under new ownership and is once again trading as a Free House.